Friday 17 January 2014

NZ - MOUNT ROY - OH BOY!!

more rain through the night and I worry about the leaky tent and my 3 campers that have already endured far beyond what most normal ladies would endure but the wet night has not dampened their spirits…..we have a rugged breakfast - toast, peanut butter, yogurt, coffee - hey, no bacon!!…….we pack up some nourishment and water and head out to the Mount Roy trailhead….we pick up a guy from Israel who is walking out to the trail…..I’m still trying to figure out how he got to Wanaka - he’s a little difficult to communicate with (language barrier) but he is a decent elderly fellow and we begin the climb together….Mount Roy is almost one mile pure vertical height….the day is sunny but cool and we are optimistic….the weather forecast is for occasional showers….sheep everywhere of course….the higher we get the more noticeable are the winds when they occur and of course it gets much cooler….we get almost three quarters of the way up and the 3 ladies are pretty well done….I encourage them to get to the first plateau at least which is about 20 more minutes up the trail…..from there, the other side of the mountain can be seen…..we make it to the plateau but they are done….it has been over 3 hours and there are signs of tough weather….I head for the top and ask them to wait or head down and I’ll catch up - there are lots of other people on the mountain to keep track of everyone….I head for the top and meet some Swiss folks and we all take each others pictures and chat about cheese and stuff like that-they are still trying to get the holes out of their cheese so I recommended plugging them with something like wine or crackers!!……I was there first so after I have finished my apple I bid them a yodel A heeee hooooo and start back down…..within minutes I spy 3 little maids in the distance heading for the last switchback before the summit…..I am pretty choked up to see my ladies really givin’ er…….they did not come all this way and climb more than three quarters of Mount Roy to settle for the lower plateau and Cathy is shouting out encouragement to them getting that last drop of energy out of them…..I have to say I’m a little teary eyed just blogging about this…..they make their way to the top and we all have a big hug…WE DID IT!!!!!!……well it is freezing cold and a bit of snow shows up so we slap each other on the back for the last time and high tail it back to lower ground…..the trek down requires much less exertion but the knees do a little whining…..we pass the Israeli guy on the way down….he is determined as well……we pass a lady who has made it almost to the top with a stroller with big wheels…..just out for a walk…..these Kiwis are pretty rugged I must say…..so are the 3 maids……2 days in a row to remember……the trip is on a good track…..oh yea, tonight is BBQ chicken and stir fry and the campground has a hot tub…..we’ll sleep well tonight…..tomorrow we head for Queenstown…….

3 little maids prepare for their first mile high climb.......ever!...........did you bring the sun block, what about the bug spray?? Maybe just leave the crosswords in the car?



these guys (the sheep that is) have it made....hair cut once in a while, view of the town below.....remind you of anyone (think senior management)!!



lots of wild flowers this time of year....very beautiful.....



OK, we'll go up a little more...just a little....you said almost there, right??



you said almost there half an hour ago!!!#@#@!



oh so this is what it looks like from up here??.......now I think I get it!!




I'll carry the bag if you want!


did I mention the wild flowers everywhere??



weather is moving in....the view is still incredible......



this is near the top.....I can almost touch the clouds...



this is the top - one vertical mile later.....I'm afraid to stand up!!.......




maybe if I hold on to this weather pole!!



an apple from a mile up............tastes as good as it looks!!



here come the 3 little maids......did I mention how proud I am of them??



The Fellowship of the Poutine - one mile higher than a few hours ago.......



pose number 2........(can't get enough of this moment)



OK, these pictures are fun and that but has anyone taken a look at the weather coming in???those are snow flakes on the lens guys!!


proudest climber of us all.....Cathy wants to climb another one.....today!



gravity and sunshine make the trip down much more enjoyable......



this little guy joins us for a little while.....



Dad pushing a stroller down the last 1000 feet.......



Lambie fulfills another life long dream of wiping the sweat of an old hiker's head.......



then the top of a hiking information pole on the same day.......I tell ya, dreams really do come true in New Zealand!!


No comments:

Post a Comment