Sunday 29 September 2013

UP ROUTED DAY - LAKE CHARLES, LA



we drive from Dallas to Lake Charles, Louisiana……again, the drive provides little stimulation and we arrive in Lake Charles safely…..we decide to use the hotel microwave and head to a local supermarket for supplies….I can't remember the last time that someone asked me if they could help me in a grocery store but there is a first time for everything.....we are completely open to any suggestions that this Louisiana grocer makes….we stand in front of the generic nuke a dinner section and it was pure Cajun music to my ears to hear him ask if we would prefer some local cuisine to the generic stuff that we were looking at - say a shrimp gumbo or chicken and sausage etouffe, what about the boudin - what, really, are you kidding me???….is it any good I ask - - he points out the frozen dinners that don't sell so well and we make our choices, we grab a little boudin for good measure….what a place- love the food - shrimp and crab etouffe in 5 minutes and I mean very tasty….we eat then walk the Lake Charles boardwalk at sunset and watch the fish jump and check out some turkey ducks, white cranes and dragon flies…..I mean really, who helps you in a grocery store - good start Louisiana!



an egret watches and waits patiently for a snack before sundown.....


in the distance is the bridge into Lake Charles and the industrial area - refineries, mills, etc......


folks enjoy the days end while doing a little fishing at the same time.....

I'm starting to see where the mardi gras masks originated.....


shore sculpture.....

1 comment:

  1. Aha, A nature photographer as well as a landscape guy! Your writing is amazing.....I've enjoyed all of your entries.
    Jane

    ReplyDelete